How We Are Funded

How We Are Funded

It costs around €8 million a year to run Cork Simon Community’s services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

47% of our income comes from State funding but none of our services are fully funded – they never have been in the 45 years that Cork Simon has been operating.

Our services would not exist today without the generous support of our donors – we need to raise €2.8 million every year, 46% of our annual income, from individuals and companies to make sure an adequate range of services are in place to tackle homelessness effectively.

As a partner organisation, Cork Simon receives some food stocks through the Fund for European Aid to the Most Deprived (FEAD) programme in Ireland. The FEAD programme is funded by the European Union and the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

Statutory Funding

In 2015, 47% of our funding came from State funding, but none of our services are fully funded.

The main source of our statutory funding, 30% of our total income, is covered by HSE through an annual written agreement towards pay costs for skilled care posts at our emergency shelter and high support housing services. We receive a smaller sum of money from Cork City Council and from state agencies: Cork Education & Training Board, Cork Local Drugs Task Force and the Community Employment Scheme.

Statutory Funding
Miscellaneous Funding

In 2015, 7% of our income came from miscellaneous sources:

Volunteer Grants

A number of Cork Simon’s 22 full-time volunteers are grant funded through the European Voluntary Service (EVS), which is part of the EU Youth in Action Programme. We also receive a grant from the Simon Communities of Ireland for our operation of the National Volunteering programme on behalf of Simon Communities of Ireland.

Residents’ Contributions
This includes a required minimum rent payment set by the local authority and a contribution towards household costs such as food and utilities where relevant. Resident’s contributions are an important part of each person taking responsibility for their housing, budgeting and preparing for independent living.

Residents’ Rent Allowance
Many residents at our high support houses and supported independent living flats qualify for rent allowance from the local authority.

Miscellaneous Funding
Read our Annual e-Report for 2017